Back to Recipe Print Recipe Back to Recipe Print Recipe
Easy Corned Beef Recipe
- Prep time 10 Minutes
- Cook time: 2 Hours
- Total time 2 Hours & 10 Minutes
- Serves 6
- 1.5kg (3.3 lb) silverside (Bottom Round)
- 1 onion, roughly chopped
- 1 carrot, roughly chopped
- 10 peppercorns
- 6 cloves
- 2 bay leaves
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup malt vinegar
- Enough water to cover
- Place the beef into a large deep pot. Add the rest of the ingredients and fill with enough water to cover the beef.
- Place the pot over high heat and bring to a boil.
- Once boiling, reduce the heat until it is a gentle simmer. Cover and cook for 2 hours, and maintain a simmer.
- Remove the beef from the liquid and allow it to rest for 15 minutes.
- Serve & Enjoy.
- If you want to cook the beef for longer but don’t want to leave it on a stove, then cooking the corned beef in a slow cooker is an option.
- Silverside is typically super cheap, so it’s a great cut of meat to use when you’re on a tight budget.
- You can make this recipe gluten-free by replacing the malt vinegar with apple cider vinegar or something similar.
- If you want to add even more flavor to the beef, then you can swap the water for a beef broth. The broth will infuse even more flavors into the silverside (bottom round).
- Keep an eye on the pot for a few minutes after you put the lid on as it can quickly boil and overflow without you noticing. If it does go to boil, reduce the heat even further.
- You can use beef brisket instead of silverside or bottom round.
Did you make this recipe?
We want to see! Tag @cookingperfected
on Instagram or use the hashtag #cookingperfected
so we can find you!