Back to Recipe Print Recipe
Air Fryer Chicken Schnitzels Recipe
- Prep time: 30 Minutes
- Cook time: 10 Minutes
- Total time: 40 Minutes
- Serves: 4
- 750 g (1.7 lb) chicken breasts, butterflied
- 100 g (3.5 oz) plain flour
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 egg
- 180 g (6.3 oz) panko breadcrumbs
- 1 Tbsp cooking oil
- Pound out each piece of chicken breast, so they are an even thickness.
- In a bowl, combine the flour, onion powder, garlic powder, salt, and pepper.
- Crack the egg into a separate bowl and beat slightly.
- Lastly, add the breadcrumbs into yet another bowl.
- One by one, coat the chicken in the following order. First, in the seasoning mixture. Next, coat in the egg. Lastly, coat in the breadcrumbs. Repeat until you have coated all the chicken.
- Preheat the air fryer to 200°C (390°F). It should take roughly 5 minutes.
- Cook the chicken in batches so there is only a single layer. Cook for 10 minutes, flipping halfway through.
- Check the chicken is cooked by using a meat thermometer. The internal temperature should be at least 75°C (170°F).
- Serve & Enjoy.
- Some butchers will butterfly the chicken breasts for you. I recommend getting this done as it will drastically reduce the amount of prep work .
- I use panko breadcrumbs, but these can be replaced with something else. For example, almond flour, shredded coconut, or gluten-free breadcrumbs works surprisingly well.
- Using large bowls for the crumb ingredients will help reduce the amount of mess you may make.
- Stacking the schnitzels in the air fryer will cause them to not crisp as nicely. I recommend keeping them as a single layer.
- The chicken breasts can be easily swapped for chicken thighs. You won't need to butterfly the chicken thigh.
- I highly recommend that you use a meat thermometer to ensure that the chicken is cooked correctly. The internal temperature should be at least 75°C (170°F).
Did you make this recipe?
We want to see! Tag @cookingperfected
on Instagram or use the hashtag #cookingperfected
so we can find you!