Back to Recipe Print Recipe
Bread and Butter Pudding Recipe
- Prep time: 10 Minutes
- Cook time: 45 Minutes
- Total time: 55 Minutes
- Serves: 4
- 8 slices of bread, buttered
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 500 ml (16.9 fl oz) milk
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- ½ cup raisins or dried cranberries
- ½ tsp cinnamon, ground
- Preheat an oven to 170°C (350°F).
- Layer the bread and raisins in a greased 8x8 baking dish.
- Beat together the milk, eggs, sugar, and vanilla until well combined.
- Pour the egg mixture into the baking dish.
- Push the bread down into the egg to help it absorb the egg mixture. (Optional: Allow to sit for 10 minutes)
- Lightly sprinkle with the cinnamon.
- Bake for 35-45 minutes or until set in the middle.
- Serve & Enjoy.
- You can use any type of bread in this dish. If you’re looking to add more flavor, then I highly recommend using fruit loaf instead of white or wholemeal. If you’re looking for something slightly healthier, then grain or brown bread would be the way to go.
- If you're finding the outside is starting to burn, but the middle is still runny, then try covering the dish with foil. This method should help slow down the browning on the outside, giving the middle of the pudding time to cook.
- The bread can sit in the egg mixture for ten minutes or a few hours. Long soak times will allow the egg mixture to penetrate deep into the bread.
- Older bread will work a lot better than fresh as it will absorb the egg mixture a lot easier and faster.
- You can add even more flavor to this easy bread and butter pudding by using jams or marmalade. You could also swap the cranberries out for chocolate chips.
- This recipe uses no cream so you can easily replace the dairy with a lactose-free variety. For example, the milk can be substituted with almond milk, coconut milk, or even soy milk.
Did you make this recipe?
We want to see! Tag @cookingperfected
on Instagram or use the hashtag #cookingperfected
so we can find you!