Back to Recipe Print Recipe
Creamed Spinach Recipe
- Prep time 15 Minutes
- Cook time: 1 Hour
- Total time 1 Hour & 15 Minutes
- Serves 4
- 1 Tbsp oil
- 1 onion
- 1 tsp garlic, crushed
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 500g (17.5 oz) spinach
- 50g (1.7 oz) cheddar cheese
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 125ml (4.2 fl oz) sour cream
- 75g (2.6 oz) unsalted butter
- 100g (3.5 oz) plain flour
- 75g (2.6 oz) cheddar cheese
- 25g (0.9 oz) parmesan
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- Preheat an oven to 180°C (350°F).
- In a frypan over medium heat, add the oil. Next, add the onion, garlic, oregano, and nutmeg. Cook until the onion is translucent.
- Add the spinach and cook until the liquid has evaporated.
- Now, add the cheese, mustard, and sour cream and cook until the cheese has melted.
- In a bowl, combine the butter, plain flour, cheese, salt, and pepper until it is like thick breadcrumbs.
- Place the spinach mixture into a greased small baking dish (20 x 10cm/8 x4 in) and top with the topping mixture.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until the topping is golden brown.
- Serve & Enjoy.
- To make this recipe gluten-free, simply change the plain flour to gluten-free plain flour.
- You can use fresh or frozen spinach. If you use fresh spinach, make sure you wash the spinach and remove the stems.
- The mustard is optional and can be left out of the recipe. You will lose a slight bit of flavor, but the dish will still be fine.
Did you make this recipe?
We want to see! Tag @cookingperfected
on Instagram or use the hashtag #cookingperfected
so we can find you!