Back to Recipe Print Recipe
Beef Stroganoff Recipe
- Prep time: 10 Minutes
- Cook time: 10 Minutes
- Total time: 20 Minutes
- Serves: 4
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 tsp garlic, crushed
- 170 g (6 oz) button mushrooms, sliced
- 500 g (1.1 lb) beef, thinly sliced
- 2 Tbsp tomato paste
- 2 Tbsp plain flour
- 250 g (8.8 oz) sour cream
- Heat a fry pan over medium heat until it is hot.
- Add the sliced beef and sear until browned.
- Add the onion, garlic, and mushrooms.
- Cook until the onion starts to go translucent.
- Add the plain flour and cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Next, add the sour cream and tomato paste.
- Allow to simmer for 2-3 minutes.
- Serve & Enjoy.
- If you're not a fan of beef, then you can substitute it with something else like chicken. Popular stroganoff variations in Brazil often feature chicken breasts.
- Make sure the pan is hot when you add the beef; otherwise, you will stew the beef instead of searing it.
- As I mentioned above, since we’re not cooking the beef for a long time, try to get tender cuts of beef such as tenderloin or scotch fillet. However, if money is running low, then blade steak will be fine.
- If you don’t have any sour cream, then this can be substituted for something like Greek yogurt. However, expect the flavor to be slightly different.
- You can also make delicious beef stroganoff in the slow cooker. Of course, it will take a lot longer, but you can get it cooking before you head to work.
Did you make this recipe?
We want to see! Tag @cookingperfected
on Instagram or use the hashtag #cookingperfected
so we can find you!