This easy beef stroganoff recipe is delicious and very easy to whip up quickly.
For those who don’t know a stroganoff is a beef dish that typically uses sour cream as the sauce. Modern adaptations like this recipe have tomato paste and mushrooms added to the dish.
You can have this dish with egg noodles, rice, and pasta or even by itself. This dish is also very affordable with the most expensive ingredient being the beef. The beef can be substituted with ground beef or a cheaper cut of beef (Eg. Rump) if you’re tight on cash.
As with any pasta or noodle dish, this goes amazing with a side of garlic bread. If you have a bit of extra time and energy, it’s well worth getting some cooking in the oven.
If you want to see how this dead easy beef stroganoff recipe is done then be sure to check out the video I have prepared below.
Beef Stroganoff Recipe
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 tsp. garlic, crushed
- 170g (6 oz) button mushrooms, sliced
- 500g (17.5 oz) beef, thinly sliced
- 2 Tbsp. tomato paste
- 2 Tbsp. plain flour
- 250g (9 oz) sour cream
- Salt & pepper
- Egg Noodles, rice or pasta
- Heat a frypan over medium heat until it is hot.
- Add the sliced beef and cook until starting to brown.
- Add the onion, garlic, and mushrooms.
- Cook until onion starts to go translucent.
- Add flour and cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Add sour cream & tomato paste.
- Allow to simmer for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the prepared Egg Noodles/Rice/Pasta into the sauce and mix until coated.
- Serve & Enjoy.
- If you’re not a fan of beef, then you can substitute it with something else like chicken. Popular varieties in Brazil often feature chicken breasts.
- Make sure you the pan is hot when you add the beef otherwise you will stew the beef instead of frying it.
- If you’re not a fan of sour cream, you’re able to switch this out for yogurt instead. This variation will give this easy beef stroganoff recipe a lighter tangier taste. If you’re a fan of the tangy light taste, then I highly suggest doing this.
- As I mentioned above, since we’re not cooking the beef for a long time it’s to try to get tender cuts of beef such as tenderloin or scotch fillet. However, if money is running low, then the blade will do just fine (It may be a bit tough).
- If you don’t have any sour cream, then this can be substituted for something like greek yogurt. Keep the flavor will be slightly different.
- You can also make a delicious beef stroganoff in the slow cooker. Of course, it will take a lot longer, but you can get it cooking before your head to work.
All the nutritional information for this deliciously easy beef stroganoff can be found below.
To calculate this information I use an online tool so it may not be entirely accurate but good enough for anyone seeking more information on this dish. I also do not include the noodles, so you will need to add the noodles on top of the values below.
If you’re looking for other pasta or noodle dishes, then you should certainly check out something such as the delicious easy carbonara. Like this dish, it is incredibly creamy but instead has crispy bits of bacon.
If you have a variation on the easy beef stroganoff recipe that you would love to share, then feel free to leave a comment below.