Back to Recipe Print Recipe
Easy Broccoli Cheese Soup Recipe
- Prep time: 10 Minutes
- Cook time: 25 Minutes
- Total time: 35 Minutes
- Serves: 4
- 15 g (0.5 oz) unsalted butter
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 tsp garlic, crushed
- 1 kg (2.2 lb) broccoli florets, chopped
- 1 l (1.1 qt) chicken stock
- 200 g (7.1 oz) cheddar cheese, shredded
- 500 ml (16.9 fl oz) milk
- ½ cup cornstarch
- In a large pot over medium heat, add the butter.
- Once melted, add the onion and garlic. Cook until the onion is translucent.
- Add the broccoli and chicken stock.
- Bring to a simmer and cook for 10-15 minutes or until the broccoli is tender.
- In a bowl, mix the cornstarch with some of the milk.
- Stir in all of the milk and the cornstarch mix. Bring back to a simmer.
- Add the cheese and stir until completely melted.
- Season with salt pepper.
- Serve & Enjoy.
- If you prefer, you can leave the cornstarch out of the recipe. However, the soup will be very runny and may not be as enjoyable.
- Seasoning can make or break a dish, but this is particularly true with soup. If you are finding it a bit tasteless, try adding a bit more salt. However, be careful not to add too much as a salty soup is not a good experience.
- You can swap the cheddar cheese for something else, such as mozzarella. There is a ton of different varieties of cheese that you can try out. Each will offer a different flavor that will completely change the dish.
- If you like a smooth soup, then you can try blending it. Keep in mind this will change the texture and flavor but certainly a must for anyone who does not like chunky soups.
- To ensure that this soup is gluten-free, make sure you use gluten-free cornstarch.
Did you make this recipe?
We want to see! Tag @cookingperfected
on Instagram or use the hashtag #cookingperfected
so we can find you!