Back to Recipe Print Recipe Back to Recipe Print Recipe
Egg in a Hole Recipe
- Prep time 5 Minutes
- Cook time: 5 Minutes
- Total time 10 Minutes
- Serves 1
- Using the rim of a glass or a cookie cutter, make a hole in the center of the bread.
- In a frying pan over medium heat, add the butter.
- Once the butter has melted, add the bread, and crack the egg into the hole.
- Once the egg has started to set, flip the bread over and cook until the egg is to your liking.
- Serve & Enjoy
- If you prefer, you can spread the butter on the bread rather than melting it in the pan. This method is likely to be a bit healthier as you can use less a lot less butter.
- You can cook the egg for as long as you want however be sure to make sure you don’t end up burning the bread. Personally, I prefer to have runny eggs rather than solid.
- Cheese is always a great addition to this dish, just sprinkle some over the top. You can even try adding some into the hole with the egg. Just make sure you don’t end up burning the cheese as it can be quite bitter.
- If you want your egg to be sunnyside up then just don’t flip it. If you do want this, then you may want to fry one side of the bread before adding the egg, so both sides of the bread are nicely toasted.
- Any type of bread will work just fine so feel free to use your favorite. If you want to treat yourself, then brioche is a fantastic choice of bread for this dish.
Did you make this recipe?
We want to see! Tag @cookingperfected
on Instagram or use the hashtag #cookingperfected
so we can find you!