Egg in a hole is an absolute classic that is super easy to make. You only need three simple ingredients and some seasonings to make this delicious dish.
This dish goes by quite a few different names, for example, some people refer to them as eggs in a nest or toad in the hole (However, a different dish is called this too). There are quite a few more so if you have any other variation on naming be sure to leave a comment at the bottom of this page.
You can have this just by itself, or you can cook up some delicious bacon on the side. There is also a ton of other sides that go great with this such as corned beef hash, homemade guacamole, hash browns, sliced avocado, mayonnaise, baked beans and so much more. The amount of variations that you can do is endless.
These tend to be a huge hit with kids so if you’re looking for an easy kid-friendly dish; then this is the perfect solution. You can use a cookie cutter to make unique shapes to make the egg hole a lot more interesting.
If you want to see how to make this incredibly easy egg in a hole recipe, then be sure to check out the video below. Alternatively, you can find the full written recipe underneath the video.
Egg in a Hole Recipe
- 1 slice of bread (Any type is fine)
- 1 Tbsp. butter
- 1 egg
- Salt & pepper
- Using the rim of a glass or a cookie cutter, make a hole in the center of the bread.
- In a frying pan over medium heat, add the butter.
- Once the butter has melted, add the bread, and crack the egg into the hole.
- Once the egg has started to set, flip the bread over and cook until the egg is to your liking.
- Serve & Enjoy
- If you prefer, you can spread the butter on the bread rather than melting it in the pan. This method is likely to be a bit healthier as you can use less a lot less butter.
- You can cook the egg for as long as you want however be sure to make sure you don’t end up burning the bread. Personally, I prefer to have runny eggs rather than solid.
- Cheese is always a great addition to this dish, just sprinkle some over the top. You can even try adding some into the hole with the egg. Just make sure you don’t end up burning the cheese as it can be quite bitter.
- If you want your egg to be sunnyside up then just don’t flip it. If you do want this, then you may want to fry one side of the bread before adding the egg, so both sides of the bread are nicely toasted.
- Any type of bread will work just fine so feel free to use your favorite. If you want to treat yourself, then brioche is a fantastic choice of bread for this dish.
This egg in a hole is an incredibly simple recipe with not much to it, but if you would love to know how this might impact your diet, then you can find the nutritional information below.
I should mention this is just an estimate and will change depending on the size of the egg, amount of butter and even the type of bread used. This information assumes that you use white bread and a medium-sized egg.
There are tons of other easy breakfast recipes that you’re able to do. If you need something to eat while on the go that’s also really easy then you should certainly check out the delicious Omelette in a mug.
If you have a variation or anything else that you would love to share for this egg in a hole recipe, then be sure to leave a comment below.