Back to Recipe Print Recipe
Gluten-Free Apple Rhubarb Crisp Recipe
- Prep time: 15 Minutes
- Cook time: 40 Minutes
- Total time: 55 Minutes
- Serves: 6
- 8 apples cut into chunks
- 5 stalks of rhubarb trimmed and cut into 5cm (2 in) chunks
- ½ tsp cinnamon, ground
- ½ tsp nutmeg, ground
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp water
- Preheat an oven to 180°C (350°F). Also, lightly grease an 8x8 baking dish.
- In a pot, add the apples, rhubarb, cinnamon, nutmeg, lemon juice, brown sugar, and water.
- Cook on medium heat with the lid on for 5 minutes. Remove the lid and cook for a further 5 minutes or until the apples and rhubarb are tender.
- In a bowl, add the butter, gluten-free plain flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Work the ingredients using your fingertips until it resembles large breadcrumbs.
- Gently work in the gluten-free cornflakes and walnuts.
- Transfer the apple and rhubarb to the baking dish and add the topping.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until the topping is golden brown.
- Serve & Enjoy.
- Cornflakes are often gluten-free these days, but it is important to check before making use of them. If you are unable to get your hands on any, then simply double the number of walnuts.
- The sugar in the filling is completely optional, but it does help offset the rhubarb's tartness. If you prefer, you can leave the sugar out, the natural sugars in the apple should take away most of the tartness.
- You can use any type of apple in this dish, but baking apples will cook the best.
Did you make this recipe?
We want to see! Tag @cookingperfected
on Instagram or use the hashtag #cookingperfected
so we can find you!