Back to Recipe Print Recipe
Gluten-Free Cornbread Recipe
- Prep time: 30 Minutes
- Cook time: 45 Minutes
- Total time: 1 Hour & 15 Minutes
- Serves: 6
- 150 g (5.3 oz) gluten-free self-rising flour
- 1 Tbsp caster sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 110 g (3.9 oz) fine cornmeal
- 120 g (4.2 oz) cheddar cheese, shredded
- 100 g (3.5 oz) bacon, chopped
- 100 g (3.5 oz) semi-dried tomatoes, chopped
- 1 tsp thyme, chopped
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 250 ml (8.5 fl oz) milk
- 80 ml (2.7 fl oz) olive oil
- 1 tomato, sliced
- Preheat an oven to 180°C (350°F). Also, line a 20x10 cm (8x4 in) loaf tin with baking paper.
- In a bowl, gently combine the self-rising flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, cornmeal, cheese, bacon, semi-dried tomatoes, and the thyme. Make a well in the middle.
- Add the eggs, milk, and oil into the well. Gently mix until well combined.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared loaf tin.
- Layer the top with the sliced tomatoes and sprinkle with some thyme leaves.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean.
- Remove from the tin and allow to cool slightly on a wire rack.
- Serve & Enjoy.
- If the middle of the cornbread is still uncooked, but the top is starting to burn, then place some aluminum foil over the top. This method will allow the bread to continue to cook but help prevent the top from burning.
- This recipe uses raw bacon, but you can use crispy cooked bacon instead.
- Polenta and cornmeal are the same thing so you can use either one.
Did you make this recipe?
We want to see! Tag @cookingperfected
on Instagram or use the hashtag #cookingperfected
so we can find you!