Back to Recipe Print Recipe
Gluten-Free Mac and Cheese Recipe
- Prep time: 10 Minutes
- Cook time: 20 Minutes
- Total time: 30 Minutes
- Serves: 4
- 225 g (7.9 oz) elbow gluten-free macaroni
- 40 g (1.4 oz) butter
- 40 g (1.4 oz) gluten-free cornstarch
- 1 tsp salt
- ¼ tsp white pepper
- 500 ml (16.9 fl oz) milk
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- Bring a large pot of water to the boil and add a pinch of salt. Cook the pasta in the water until it is al dente, roughly 8 minutes. Check the pasta package for better directions.
- Once the pasta is cooked, drain it, and leave in a colander.
- Melt the butter in a clean 2l (2 qt) deep pot over medium heat. Stir in the cornstarch, salt, and pepper.
- Slowly add the milk while continuously stirring. Once the milk is added, the mixture should be smooth and slightly thick.
- Add the shredded cheese and stir until the cheese is melted.
- Next, add the pasta into the cheese sauce and stir until the pasta is coated.
- Serve & Enjoy.
- I recommend buying a good quality block cheese and grating it by hand for the best results. Pre-shredded cheese often has additives to prevent it from clumping together.
- Buying a good quality pasta can make all the difference when it comes to mac and cheese. So, I recommend buying a good brand of gluten-free elbow pasta.
- For a richer cheese sauce, you can use a mixture of milk and heavy cream. Be aware that using cream will add a few more calories.
- Elbow (macaroni) pasta obviously works the best, but other types of pasta will work great too. For example, some people like to use curls, bowties, shells, corkscrews, penne, and much more.
Did you make this recipe?
We want to see! Tag @cookingperfected
on Instagram or use the hashtag #cookingperfected
so we can find you!