Back to Recipe Print Recipe
Gluten-Free Orange Cake Recipe
- Prep time: 30 Minutes
- Cook time: 1 Hour
- Total time: 1 Hour & 30 Minutes
- Serves: 6
- 2 large oranges
- 5 large eggs
- 1 & ½ cup caster sugar
- 2 cups almond meal
- ¼ tsp bicarb soda
- First, place the oranges in a pot and fill with water. Boil until very soft (1-2 hours). Try to make sure the oranges remain covered with water.
- Drain the water and blitz the oranges until they’re like a puree. Put to the side and allow the puree to cool.
- Preheat an oven to 180°C (350°F), also line a 25cm (10 inches) springform pan with baking paper.
- In a mixer, whip together the caster sugar and egg until it’s thick and pale.
- Combine the almond meal and bicarb soda, then fold into the egg mixture with the orange mix.
- Pour into the prepared cake tin and place into the preheated oven.
- Bake for 1 hour or until a skewer comes out clean.
- Serve & Enjoy
- Beating the eggs is incredibly important when it comes to making this recipe. If you don’t beat them for long enough, then you may find the cake will come out a bit flat.
- With this orange and almond cake, I just blitz the oranges whole, I usually don’t end up with any seed problems. However, if you have the time, I recommend removing the core and any seeds so you can get a smoother finish.
- Almond meal is also known as almond flour or ground almonds.
- If you don't have time to wait for the oranges to boil, you can cook them in a microwave instead. Simply prick them with a skewer all over and wrap in some paper towel. Cook in the microwave until they are nice and tender. It should take between five to fifteen minutes.
- Caster sugar is also known as baker's sugar or superfine sugar.
Did you make this recipe?
We want to see! Tag @cookingperfected
on Instagram or use the hashtag #cookingperfected
so we can find you!