Back to Recipe Print Recipe Back to Recipe Print Recipe
Gluten-Free Orange Cake Recipe
- Prep time 30 Minutes
- Cook time: 1 Hour
- Total time 1 Hour & 30 Minutes
- Serves 6
- 2 large oranges
- 5 large eggs
- 1 & ½ cups caster sugar
- 2 cups almond meal
- ¼ tsp bicarb soda
- First, place the oranges in a pot and fill with water. Boil until very soft (1-2 hours). Try to make sure the oranges remain covered.
- Drain the water and blitz the oranges until they’re like a puree. Put to the side and allow to cool.
- Preheat an oven to 180°C (350°F), also line a 25cm (10 inches) springform pan lined with baking paper.
- In a mixer, whip together the caster sugar and egg until it’s thick and pale.
- Combine the almond meal, and bicarb soda then fold into egg mixture with the orange mix.
- Pour into the prepared cake tin and place into the preheated oven.
- Bake for 1 hour or until a skewer comes out clean.
- Serve & Enjoy
- A great variation on this cake is to thinly slice an orange and place the orange slices on the bottom of the cake pan. Pour the cake mix over the top and bake. Once done you’re left with an incredible looking cake top. Add some demerara sugar to the orange slices if you would like them to be a bit sweeter.
- Once the cake has finished cooling down, you can also sprinkle with icing sugar or cocoa powder to decorate.
- Beating the eggs is incredibly important when it comes to making this recipe. If you don’t beat them for long enough, then you may find the cake will come out a bit flat.
- With this orange and almond cake I just blitz the oranges whole, I usually don’t end up with any seed problems. However, if you have the time I recommend removing the core and any seeds so you can get a smoother finish.
- If you don't have time to wait for the oranges to boil you can do them in a microwave instead. Simply prick them with a skewer all over and wrap in paper towel. Cook in the microwave until they are nice and tender. It should take between 5-15 minutes.
Did you make this recipe?
We want to see! Tag @cookingperfected
on Instagram or use the hashtag #cookingperfected
so we can find you!