Back to Recipe Print Recipe Back to Recipe Print Recipe
Gluten-Free Upside-Down Pear Cake Recipe
- Prep time30 Minutes
- Cook time:1 Hour & 30 Minutes
- Total time2 Hours
- 75g (2.6 oz) unsalted butter
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 4 pears, peeled and cut into 5 mm (0.03 in) slices
- Preheat an oven to 180°C (350°F).
- Grease and line the base of a 26cm (10.2 in) cake pan with baking paper.
- In a pan, melt the brown sugar and butter. Stir until combined, then put to the side.
- Layer the sliced pear in the cake tin in a spiral pattern. Pour the sugar mixture over the top of the sliced pears.
- In a mixer, add the butter and caster sugar. Beat until light and fluffy.
- Beat in the eggs one by one.
- Sift together the gluten-free plain flour, baking powder, spices, and almond meal. Gently mix into the wet ingredients while also slowly pouring in the milk.
- Pour cake batter into the prepared cake tin.
- Bake in the oven for 1 ½ hours.
- Allow to cool for 5 minutes in the cake tin.
- Remove from tin and allow to cool.
- Serve & Enjoy.
- If the cake appears to be browning too much on the top, then cover with foil, so it’s able to finish baking without burning.
- As I mentioned above, it's best to use fresh pears and not tinned for this cake.
- Adding cold eggs into the butter mixture may cause it to split. If this is the case, simply continue with preparing as it will not ruin your cake.
- Ensure your baking powder is gluten-free as there are some brands that do have gluten in them.
Did you make this recipe?
We want to see! Tag @cookingperfected
on Instagram or use the hashtag #cookingperfected
so we can find you!