Back to Recipe Print Recipe
Instant Pot Lamb Shanks Recipe
- Prep time: 15 Minutes
- Cook time: 1 Hour & 10 Minutes
- Total time: 1 Hour & 25 Minutes
- Serves: 4
- 4 lamb shanks
- 60 g (2.1 oz) plain flour
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- 4 Tbsp oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 Tbsp garlic, crushed
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 125 ml (4.2 fl oz) red wine
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp thyme
- 800 g (1.8 lb) diced tomatoes
- 2 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1 bay leaf
- 250 ml (8.5 fl oz) cup chicken stock
- In a bowl, add the flour and combine with the salt and pepper.
- Coat each lamb shank in the flour.
- Set the instant pot to sauté and add the oil.
- Cook the lamb shanks in batches. Cook until each side is browned (Roughly 3-5 minutes). Once cooked, place the lamb shanks to the side.
- Add the onion, garlic, celery, and carrots. Cook for 1 minute.
- Next, add the red wine and cook for one minute.
- Now, add the sugar, thyme, diced tomatoes, Worcestershire sauce, tomato paste, bay leaf, and chicken stock. Mix until combined.
- Lastly, add the lamb shanks so that they are covered with the stewing liquid.
- Secure the lid and seal the Instant Pot. Cook on high pressure for 45 minutes.
- Allow to sit for 10 minutes before manually releasing the pressure.
- If the sauce is runny, you might want to thicken it by mixing in a cornstarch paste. I recommend combining two tablespoons of cornstarch with two tablespoons of water, then mixing it into the sauce. Set to sauté and cook for 5 minutes or until thickened.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve & Enjoy.
- If you get the dreaded food burn message on your Instant Pot, you may need to add a bit more fluid. Try not to add too much fluid as the sauce will end up super thin and require thickening.
- You can make this recipe gluten-free by either omitting the flour or replacing it with a gluten-free alternative.
- The meat should be almost falling off the bone when you remove it from the Instant Pot. If it is not, you might want to cook it for a bit longer.
- Depending on the size of your Instant Pot, it may be easier to brown the lamb shanks in a separate pan. Alternatively, you can skip browning the shanks and add them once you have prepared the stewing liquid.
Did you make this recipe?
We want to see! Tag @cookingperfected
on Instagram or use the hashtag #cookingperfected
so we can find you!