Back to Recipe Print Recipe
Instant Pot Sweet and Sour Chicken Recipe
- Prep time: 20 Minutes
- Cook time: 20 Minutes
- Total time: 40 Minutes
- Serves: 4
- 500 g (1.1 lb) chicken thigh, cubed
- 1 Tbsp cooking oil
- 1 onion, quartered
- 1 tsp garlic, crushed
- 1 tsp ginger, minced
- 1 carrot, peeled & sliced
- 1 large red bell pepper, chopped
- 3 Tbsp brown sugar
- 4 Tbsp ketchup
- 2 Tbsp soy sauce
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- 440 g (15.5 oz) can pineapple pieces with unsweetened juice (Do not drain)
- 2 Tbsp cornstarch
- 2 Tbsp water
- Set the Instant Pot (5.7L/6 qt) to sauté and add the cooking oil.
- Once hot, add the chicken. Cook until slightly browned.
- Add the onion, garlic, ginger, carrot, and red bell pepper. Cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Next, add the brown sugar, ketchup, soy sauce, apple cider vinegar, pineapple pieces, and pineapple juice. Stir together.
- Seal the pressure cooker and set it to pressure cook on high for 5 minutes.
- Allow to sit for 10 minutes before manually releasing the pressure.
- Remove the lid and set the Instant Pot to sauté.
- Combine the cornstarch and water until smooth. Pour into the Instant Pot and stir until thickened.
- Serve & Enjoy.
- You may need to add more cornstarch if you like your sweet and sour sauce thick.
- Chicken breast is an excellent alternative to chicken thigh. Both cuts of meat will work fine in this recipe.
- Tomato paste is a great alternative to ketchup.
- More vegetables can be added to this dish. For example, ingredients such as bean shoots, baby corn, or even green beans will work nicely.
- To ensure this dish is gluten-free, double-check the ingredients on the ketchup, soy sauce, and cornstarch. There are gluten-free varieties available for these ingredients.
Did you make this recipe?
We want to see! Tag @cookingperfected
on Instagram or use the hashtag #cookingperfected
so we can find you!