Back to Recipe Print Recipe
Lemon Curd Recipe
- Prep time: 10 Minutes
- Cook time: 40 Minutes
- Total time: 50 Minutes
- Makes: 800g (1.7 lb)
- 4 lemons
- 175 g (6.2 oz) unsalted butter
- 225 g (7.9 oz) white sugar
- 4 Eggs
- Zest and juice all the lemons. Discard the seeds and pulp.
- In a bowl over simmering water (double boiler), melt the butter and sugar. Mix until smooth, don’t allow to boil.
- Slowly mix in the lemon zest and juice.
- In a separate bowl, beat the 4 eggs.
- Gently pour the eggs into the lemon mixture while continually stirring.
- Continue to stir for 30-40 minutes or until the mixture is of thick creamy consistency. (Don’t allow the mixture to boil)
- Allow to cool entirely. The curd will thicken as it cools.
- Serve & Enjoy.
- If you need this lemon curd as a filling to a lemon meringue pie or something similar, then I suggest you thicken it with cornstarch. Simply mix in roughly two teaspoons of cornstarch with the lemon.
- You can double the amount of sugar in this recipe if you want a really sweet lemon curd. I prefer it to be on the tangy side, so the current quantity is perfect for me.
- If you feel that your curd is starting to lump, then switch to a whisk. A whisk should break up any lumps that may be forming.
- It's important that you beat the eggs thoroughly; failing to do so may lead to small bits of egg white in your curd. It will still taste fine.
Did you make this recipe?
We want to see! Tag @cookingperfected
on Instagram or use the hashtag #cookingperfected
so we can find you!