Back to Recipe Print Recipe Back to Recipe Print Recipe
Lemon Curd Recipe
- Prep time 10 Minutes
- Cook time: 40 Minutes
- Total time 50 Minutes
- Makes 800g (1.7 lb)
- 4 lemons
- 175g (6 oz) unsalted butter
- 225g (1 lb) white sugar
- 4 Eggs
- Zest and juice all the lemons. Discard any seeds and pulp.
- In a bowl over simmering water (double boiler), melt the butter and sugar. Mix until smooth, don’t allow to boil.
- Slowly mix in the lemon zest and juice.
- In a separate bowl, beat together the 4 eggs.
- Gently pour into the lemon mixture while continually stirring.
- Continue to stir for 30-40 minutes or until the mixture is of a thick creamy consistency. (Don’t allow the mixture to boil)
- Allow to cool, and it will thicken more as it cools.
- Serve & Enjoy
- If you need this lemon curd as a filling to something like a lemon meringue pie, then I suggest you thicken it slightly with cornstarch. Simply mix in roughly two teaspoons of cornstarch with the lemon.
- You can double the amount of sugar in this recipe if you want a really sweet lemon curd. I prefer it to be on the tangy side so 225g (1lb) is the perfect amount for me.
- If you feel that your curd is starting to lump, then switch to a whisk. A whisk should break up any lumps that may be forming.
- It's important that you beat the eggs thoroughly, failing to do so may lead to small bits of egg white in your curd. It will still taste fine.
Did you make this recipe?
We want to see! Tag @cookingperfected
on Instagram or use the hashtag #cookingperfected
so we can find you!