Back to Recipe Print Recipe Back to Recipe Print Recipe
Lemon Curd Recipe
- Prep time 10 Minutes
- Cook time: 40 Minutes
- Total time 50 Minutes
- Makes 800g (1.7 lb)
- 4 lemons
- 175g (6 oz) unsalted butter
- 225g (1 lb) white sugar
- 4 Eggs
- Zest and juice all the lemons. Discard any seeds and pulp.
- In a bowl over simmering water (double boiler), melt the butter and sugar. Mix until smooth, don’t allow to boil.
- Slowly mix in the lemon zest and juice.
- In a separate bowl, beat together the 4 eggs.
- Gently pour into the lemon mixture while continually stirring.
- Continue to stir for 30-40 minutes or until the mixture is of a thick creamy consistency. (Don’t allow the mixture to boil)
- Allow to cool, and it will thicken more as it cools.
- Serve & Enjoy
- If you need this lemon curd as a filling to something like a lemon meringue pie, then I suggest you thicken it slightly with cornstarch. Simply mix in roughly two teaspoons of cornstarch with the lemon.
- You can double the amount of sugar in this recipe if you want a really sweet lemon curd. I prefer it to be on the tangy side so 225g (1lb) is the perfect amount for me.
- If you feel that your curd is starting to lump, then switch to a whisk. A whisk should break up any lumps that may be forming.
- It's important that you beat the eggs thoroughly, failing to do so may lead to small bits of egg white in your curd. It will still taste fine.