Back to Recipe Print Recipe
Overnight French Toast Casserole Recipe
- Prep time: 15 Minutes
- Cook time: 40 Minutes
- Total time: 55 Minutes
- Serves: 4
- 1 loaf of bread, sliced
- 8 eggs
- 1 tsp cinnamon, ground
- 2 tsp vanilla essence
- 320 ml (10.8 fl oz) heavy cream
- 60 g (2.1 oz) butter, melted
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 2 tsp cinnamon, ground
- In a large mixing bowl, add the eggs, cinnamon, vanilla essence, and the cream.
- In a deep oven dish, add the melted butter and coat the sides with it. There should be an excess amount in the bottom of the oven dish.
- Scatter 1/4 cup of brown sugar to the bottom of the pan.
- Layer the bread evenly in the pan.
- Add the egg mix over the top and push down on the bread to encourage it to soak up the mix.
- Cover and place in a fridge overnight. (optional)
- In the morning preheat the oven to 180 °C (350 °F). Meanwhile, combine ½ cup brown sugar and one teaspoon cinnamon and sprinkle on top of the French toast.
- Place into the preheated oven and cook for 30-40 minutes or until the egg is cooked and the top is golden brown.
- Serve and Enjoy.
- If you have the time, bacon goes great with the casserole. Serve a couple of rashers with each serving of the oven-baked French toast.
- An overnight French toast casserole is great as you do almost all the work night before. If you have anything else to go with it see if you can prepare this, so all you have to do is bake and serve.
- If you don’t have 6-8 hours to wait for the egg mixture to soak in, then you can encourage it to soak in by pushing down on bread. This method will help the bread absorb the mix faster and should be ready not long after.
- Experiment with the topping, the topping in this recipe is very basic you can try something like a praline topping if you have the time to do it.
- You can add extras such as blueberries or sliced apple to this casserole. It's a great way to inject tons more flavor easily.
Did you make this recipe?
We want to see! Tag @cookingperfected
on Instagram or use the hashtag #cookingperfected
so we can find you!