Back to Recipe Print Recipe
Paleo Sweet & Sour Chicken
- Prep time: 20 Minutes
- Cook time: 25 Minutes
- Total time: 45 Minutes
- Serves: 4
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup tapioca starch
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- 500 g (1.1 lb) chicken thigh, cubed
Sweet and Sour Sauce
- 1 onion, quartered
- 1 tsp ginger, minced
- 1 large red bell pepper, chopped
- 4 Tbsp honey
- 4 Tbsp tomato Paste
- 2 Tbsp coconut Aminos
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- 440 g (15.5 oz) can pineapple pieces with unsweetened juice (Do not drain)
- Beat two eggs in a bowl.
- In a new bowl, combine the tapioca starch, salt, and pepper.
- In batches, add the chicken to the egg bowl and then coat in the tapioca starch. Repeat until you have coated all the chicken.
- In a deep frypan over high heat, add the coconut oil. Once hot, quickly brown the chicken. Once browned, put to the side.
- In a clean deep frypan, add 1 tsp coconut oil, onion, ginger, bell pepper, and cook until the onion is translucent, roughly 2 minutes.
- Add the honey, tomato paste, coconut Aminos, apple cider vinegar, and the pineapple pieces with the juice. Stir until combined.
- Allow to simmer for 15 minutes before returning the chicken to the pan.
- Cook for 10 minutes or until thickened.
- Serve & Enjoy.
- You shouldn't need to add any more seasonings to this paleo-friendly sweet and sour chicken dish. However, if you feel the need, adjust the seasoning by using some salt and pepper.
- There are lots more vegetables that you can add to this dish. For example, you can add some carrots, but keep in mind the cooking time might need to be longer so that the vegetables are cooked correctly.
- You can make this dish in the slow cooker. Just keep in mind you will not be able to coat the chicken. Well, you could, but the coating will become soggy after hours of cooking.
Did you make this recipe?
We want to see! Tag @cookingperfected
on Instagram or use the hashtag #cookingperfected
so we can find you!