Back to Recipe Print Recipe Back to Recipe Print Recipe
Poached Pears in Red Wine Recipe
- Prep time 15 Minutes
- Cook time: 1 Hour & 15 Minutes
- Total time 1 Hour & 30 Minutes
- Serves 4
- 500ml (17 fl oz) red wine
- 125g (4.4 oz) sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1 whole star anise
- ½ tsp whole cloves
- 4-6 pears, peeled
- In a medium-sized saucepan over medium heat. Add the red wine, sugar, vanilla essence, cinnamon sticks, star anise, cloves, and stir until the sugar is dissolved.
- Add the pears and bring to a boil.
- Reduce to a simmer and cook for one hour or until the pears are tender. Turn the pears every 15 minutes.
- Remove the pears and put them to the side. Discard the spices.
- Bring to a boil and cook for 10 minutes while continually stirring. The syrup should thicken slightly. Allow to cool slightly.
- Serve the pears with the red wine syrup.
- You can also cook these poached pears in the slow cooker. They will take a little longer, but the result is just as good.
- I prefer the pears whole, but you can halve them instead. You will probably need to reduce the cooking time to thirty minutes.
- Thickening the syrup is optional, but I highly recommend doing it for the best experience.
- Placing a lid over the saucepan will help ensure the pears are cooked evenly. However, I still recommend turning the pears every fifteen minutes. You will need to remove the lid at step five, so the liquid can reduce to a syrup. It will take a bit longer than ten minutes.
Did you make this recipe?
We want to see! Tag @cookingperfected
on Instagram or use the hashtag #cookingperfected
so we can find you!