Back to Recipe Print Recipe
Sausage Casserole Recipe
- Prep time: 30 Minutes
- Cook time: 1 Hour
- Total time: 1 Hour & 30 Minutes
- Serves: 6
- 750 g (1.7 lb) beef sausages
- 3 Tbsp butter
- 2 onions, diced
- 1 Tbsp garlic, crushed
- 2 carrots, diced
- 2 Tbsp cornstarch
- 500 ml (16.9 fl oz) beef stock
- ½ tsp thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 Tbsp Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 cup freshly cooked long grain rice
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 200 g (7.1 oz) cheddar cheese, grated
- Preheat an oven to 180°C (355 °F).
- In a frypan over medium heat, brown the sausages on each side.
- Remove the sausages from the frypan and cut them into bite-sized chunks.
- In the same frypan, add the butter.
- Once the butter has melted, add the onion, garlic, and carrots. Cook until the onions are translucent or softened.
- Add the cornstarch and mix in well.
- Gently pour in the beef stock while continually stirring. Also, add the thyme, bay leaf, and Worcestershire sauce.
- Return the sausages to the pan and simmer for 5 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Place the sausage mixture into a large casserole dish and cover with foil. Cook in the oven for 40 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine the rice, eggs, cheddar cheese, and a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Pull the sausages out of the oven and discard the bay leaf. Top with the rice mixture.
- Cook in the oven for 20 minutes or until the top is browned.
- Serve & Enjoy.
- I recommend using beef sausages, but any type of sausage will work great.
- The topping is optional, so you can save some time by skipping it.
- You can use different types of cheese in the topping for different flavored rice.
- To ensure this recipe is gluten-free, make sure you double-check the ingredients on the Worcestershire sauce, cornstarch, and sausages. All these ingredients usually have gluten-free variants that you can pick up at your local store.
Did you make this recipe?
We want to see! Tag @cookingperfected
on Instagram or use the hashtag #cookingperfected
so we can find you!