Back to Recipe Print Recipe Back to Recipe Print Recipe
Sweet and Sour Meatballs Recipe
- Prep time 30 Minutes
- Cook time: 45 Minutes
- Total time 1 Hour & 15 Minutes
- Serves 6
- 500g (17.5 oz) ground beef
- 1 onion, minced
- 1 tsp garlic, crushed
- 1 tsp ginger, minced
- 1 egg
- 1 Tbsp parsley, chopped
- 50g (1.7 oz) breadcrumbs
- 1 tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
Sweet and Sour Sauce
- 2 Tbsp cornstarch
- 4 Tbsp ketchup
- 4 Tbsp sugar
- 6 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 Tbsp soy sauce
- 250ml (8.5 fl oz) pineapple juice
- 2 large bell peppers, quartered
- 440g (15.5 oz) can pineapple pieces, unsweetened juice
- 1 onion, quartered
- In a bowl, combine the ground beef, onion, garlic, ginger, egg, parsley, breadcrumbs, salt, and pepper. Roll into balls. One tablespoon per meatball should be enough.
- In a frypan over medium heat, add two tablespoons of oil.
- Brown the meatballs and then put to the side.
- In a deep saucepan, combine the ketchup with the cornstarch. Gradually add the sugar, apple cider vinegar, soy sauce, and pineapple juice.
- Over medium heat, continually stir the sauce until it has thickened.
- Add the meatballs, bell pepper, pineapple pieces, and onion. Cook for ten to fifteen minutes.
- Serve & Enjoy.
- The cornstarch is an absolute must for a thick sauce. Alternatives such as arrowroot can be used if you do not have any cornstarch.
- If you are using an oven-proof dish, you can keep the meatballs and sauce in the oven for up to an hour. Ideal if you do not need to eat straight away or you want to prepare something else in the meantime.
- The pineapple juice from the tinned pineapple pieces should be enough to get to 250ml (8.5 fl oz). Otherwise, simply top the pineapple juice with water until you get the required amount.
Did you make this recipe?
We want to see! Tag @cookingperfected
on Instagram or use the hashtag #cookingperfected
so we can find you!