Back to Recipe Print Recipe
Easy Gumbo Recipe
- Prep time: 10 Minutes
- Cook time: 45 Minutes
- Total time: 55 Minutes
- Serves: 4
- 2 chorizo sausages, sliced
- 2 chicken breasts, cubed
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 2 Tbsp plain flour
- 1 onion, cut into chunks
- 2 tsp garlic, crushed
- 2 celery stalks, roughly chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 tsp Cajun seasoning
- 1 tsp thyme
- 2 cups chicken stock
- In a large deep pot over medium heat, add the chorizo, chicken, and cook until browned. Once browned, remove from the pot, and put them to the side.
- Add the butter.
- Once the butter has melted, add the plain flour, and cook for 2-3 minutes or until it is a brown color.
- Add onion, garlic, celery, bell pepper, Cajun seasoning, thyme, and cook for 4-5 minutes.
- Return the chicken and chorizo to the pot.
- Stir in the chicken stock and bring to the boil.
- Simmer for 20 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve & Enjoy.
- Constantly stir when making a roux, and do not walk away from it. Otherwise, it will likely burn, and you will need to start over. You may find a whisk easier when it comes to stirring it.
- If you do not have any Cajun seasoning around, you can make it from scratch. You can also get the seasoning tasting perfect since you are able to adjust the ingredients.
- You can get this gumbo cooking way ahead of time so the flavors can develop more. I recommend doing the gumbo in the slow cooker as it will gently cook over a few hours. It is a little different from this recipe but worth checking out if you love to slow cook.
Did you make this recipe?
We want to see! Tag @cookingperfected
on Instagram or use the hashtag #cookingperfected
so we can find you!