This gluten-free apple crisp is the perfect fruity dessert. It goes fantastic with some ice cream or a dollop of thickened cream. It is also amazing just by itself.
The filling of this apple crisp cooks to be deliciously tender and not too sweet. The topping will have a lovely crunch to it and compliment the apples well without overpowering them.
You can use just about any type of apple in this tasty gluten-free dessert. I love using up any apples that I might have lying around. Especially the ones that are starting to look like they’re about to go off.
If you’re buying some apples specifically for this dish, then try getting some baking apples such as Jonagold, granny smith or even McIntosh.
A lot of other gluten-free variations on this recipe uses “gluten-free” oats, but for most people, these will still cause an upset. In this recipe, I use gluten-free cornflakes which from my experience seem to be a great cost-effective crunchy replacement.
If you prefer a recipe that uses almond flour and no corn flakes, then there are some pretty good paleo apple crisps around.
If you want to see how to make this recipe, then be sure to check out the video below. It goes through every step to making this delicious apple crisp.
Also, if you like the video, then please be sure to subscribe, so you’re kept up to date on all our latest recipes.
You can find a full written recipe right underneath the video if that’s what you prefer.
Gluten-Free Apple Crisp Recipe
Can't see the video? Support us by disabling your adblocker.
- 6-8 apples, cut into chunks
- 1 tsp cinnamon, ground
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp water
- Preheat an oven to 180°C (350°F). Also, lightly grease an 8×8 baking dish.
- Add the chopped apples to a pot with the cinnamon, lemon, and the water.
- Cook over medium heat for 10 minutes or until the apples are tender.
- Meanwhile in a bowl, mix together the butter, cinnamon, nutmeg, brown sugar, and gluten-free flour by using your fingertips.
- Work the mixture until it resembles large breadcrumbs. Lastly, gently rub in the cornflakes.
- Transfer the tender apple into the prepared baking dish.
- Top the apple with the crumble mix and place into the preheated oven.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until the topping is golden brown.
- Serve & Enjoy
- While corn doesn’t contain any gluten, some brands of corn flakes do. If it’s not labeled as gluten-free, then it’s likely not. With that said, always double check the ingredients to be sure as I have found some brands are gluten-free even though it’s not advertised.
- You can swap the corn flakes out for some chopped nuts. Something like macadamias, almonds or even pecans would go well in the topping.
- If you love your desserts being on the sweet side, then try adding a sweetener to the apple mix. Something like maple syrup or sugar will do the trick. Personally, I wouldn’t add more than ½ a cup.
- You can also swap out the gluten free plain flour for something like almond meal. You will get a very similar topping, but it will be a bit nuttier. It just comes down to personal preference.
- You're able to use any apple in this recipe, but as I mentioned above if you want the best results, it's best to stick to something like Jonagold, or granny smith.
If you love keeping an eye on what you’re eating, then you can find all the nutritional information about this delicious apple crisp below.
Please keep in mind this only considers the dish itself and not any extras that you might have with it such as ice cream or cream.
If you end up with any leftovers make sure you keep them as they will reheat really well the next day. I personally love to eat the leftovers for breakfast as it makes for a delicious quick and easy meal. Just make sure you store the leftovers covered in the fridge.
There are plenty of other gluten-free desserts that you can make. One of my favorites is a flourless orange cake. It bakes to be incredibly moist and has a lovely orange flavor to it, and is a must try if you love citrus.
I hope you enjoy this gluten-free apple crisp as much as I do. If you have a variation or some feedback, then please don’t hesitate to leave a comment below.