This easy chicken a la king is the perfect way to use up some leftover chicken while at the same time making an incredibly good tasting dinner.
Chicken al a king is also known as king style chicken and has a disputed origin. Traditionally it has a chicken, vegetables and a delicious creamy sauce. You will typically serve this dish with rice, noodles, or even some bread.
By the time you’re ready to serve this dish, the sauce will be deliciously creamy and packed with a ton of flavor. The peas, carrots, bell pepper adds vibrant colors to help make this easy recipe visually appealing.
This dish is best served on top of some pasta, rice, bread, or even some egg noodles. It basically just comes down to your own personal preference. The easiest is just to toast up some bread, but my favorite is some freshly cooked pasta.
Some garlic bread goes great on the side of this recipe if you have the time I highly recommend making it.
If you don’t have any leftover chicken, then you can just cook up some up from scratch. I recommend dicing the chicken and adding it at the same time as the onion if you’re cooking it from raw.
Using gluten-free cornstarch will make this dish suitable for anyone who is following a diet that prohibits gluten. Obviously, if you have extras you will need to look at some gluten-free pasta, bread or even plain rice would work.
Many desserts that go great after this delicious pasta dish. If I were to recommend one, it would be an easy tiramisu. It’s rich and has a fantastic coffee flavor.
The leftovers should keep for a few days in the fridge. Since this dish contains cream, it may not reheat the best. Personally, I find the sauce tends to split, especially when cooking in the microwave.
If you want to see how to do this chicken a la king recipe, then be sure to check out the video below. Alternatively, you can find the full recipe that takes you through all the steps right below.
Easy Chicken A la King Recipe
- 3 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 3 Tbsp cornstarch
- 1 onion, diced
- 5 button mushrooms, sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 2 cups cooked chicken, shredded
- 2 cups chicken broth
- ½ cup cream
To ensure that this recipe is gluten-free simply make sure you use a gluten-free cornstarch.
- First, shred chicken and place to the side.
- In a frying pan, over medium heat, add the butter.
- Once melted, add the onions, bell pepper, mushrooms and cook until the onion is translucent.
- Now add the cornstarch and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the chicken broth and stir until combined.
- Finally add the peas, leftover chicken and cook for 5 minutes.
- Finish by mixing in the cream and season with salt & pepper.
- Serve & Enjoy.
- You can use either fresh or canned mushrooms depending on what you prefer and how much prep time you have. Personally, I prefer fresh since the texture and flavor tend to be a lot better. Adding fresh mushrooms usually doesn’t add any more time on for preparing this delicious chicken a la king.
- A little bit of sherry will help add even more flavor to this wonderful dish. Just add a splash or two just before you add the cornstarch.
- You can use plain flour in place of the cornflour. However, you may notice the sauce is a little less thick so it might be worth adding one tablespoon more if you’re using plain flour.
- If the result is looking a bit too thick then simply add some more cream until you get the consistency you want. Try not to add too much too fast otherwise it might go too runny.
- You can dice some chicken breasts or thigh if you don't have any leftover pre-cooked chicken to shred. Alternatively, buy a pre-cooked rotisserie chicken from a nearby deli.
If you want to know the nutritional information for this delicious pasta dish, then you can find it right below.
I made use of an online tool to help work out this information so it may not be super accurate, so please keep this in mind when deciding on eating this.
If you’re not really feeling like some chicken a la king, then there are plenty of alternative dishes that you should try out. For example, the deliciously creamy easy carbonara is certainly worth checking out and is easy as this dish.
I always like cooking up something like a roast chicken in a slow cookerthen using the leftover chicken in this dish or something else where leftover chicken works great.
I hope that you enjoy this deliciously easy chicken a la king if you have any feedback, tips, variations, or anything else that you would like to say.