This easy orange chicken is a simplified version of the real thing with the sauce only needing three simple ingredients.
The cornstarch and flour form a lovely light crust on the chicken that compliments the sweet sauce. The sauce is a delicious combination of marmalade, BBQ sauce, and teriyaki sauce. It is an excellent dish that will please if you love a sweet crispy chicken dish.
While this is not the easiest recipe in the world, it does only need a few ingredients. Once you get the chicken coated, there is not much to do except cook the chicken and make the simple three-ingredient orange chicken sauce.
You will be able to feed roughly four people without needing to alter the recipe at all. I do highly suggest that you make some extra side dishes to go along with it.
Make sure you keep the leftovers for this dish as they will reheat nicely. Just keep them covered in the fridge, and they should last about three days, maybe a bit longer. Just remember that the sauce will make the chicken batter go soggy.
What to Serve with Orange Chicken
Below are a couple of ideas on what you can serve with this dish.
This dish is best served with some rice, and you can cook it over the stove or in a rice cooker. Obviously, cooking in the rice cooker is a much easier option.
An excellent alternative to regular rice is some homemade cauliflower rice. It is a much healthier, lighter option and is very easy to make. If you have never tried it, then I highly suggest that you give it a go.
Stir fry vegetables, along with noodles, will work very nicely with this dish. The choice of vegetables is entirely up to you. Still, something like bok choy, bell pepper, broccoli, sugar snap peas, and some sliced onion will work very nicely.
If you want to see how to make orange chicken, then be sure to check out the video below. If you love the video, then be sure to subscribe to our YouTube channel. You can find the full recipe right underneath the video.
Easy Orange Chicken Recipe
Easy Orange Chicken Sauce
Chicken & Batter
- 2 chicken breasts, cubed
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup plain flour
- ½ cup cornstarch
- In a saucepan, combine the marmalade, BBQ sauce, and the teriyaki sauce. Simmer for 5-10 minutes.
- In a bowl, beat the eggs.
- Next, in another bowl, mix the flour and cornstarch.
- One by one dip the chicken cubes in the egg and then the flour mix. Put to the side.
- In a fry-pan over medium heat, add 1 cm (0.4 in) worth of oil. Once hot, add the chicken in batches and cook until crispy. Roughly 4-5 minutes.
- In a clean bowl, toss the cooked chicken with the prepared sauce.
- Serve & Enjoy.
- If you start the chicken as soon as you get the sauce heating, they should be ready at the same time.
- A meat thermometer is an excellent tool for checking whether the meat is cooked. The middle of the chicken’s thickest part should be at least 75°C (165°F).
- Sliced scallions or sesame seeds are perfect as a garnish for this dish.
- If you are cooking rice in a rice cooker, you might want to get it cooking before getting started on this recipe.
- You can also do orange chicken in the slow cooker to get it cooking hours ahead of when you need it. However, you won’t need to batter the chicken. Otherwise, it will go soggy and just fall off the chicken.
The information above is an estimate generated by an online nutrition calculator.
More Chicken Recipes
Below are some more chicken recipes that are well worth giving a try.
If you are looking for sweet chicken dishes, you might be interested in the honey mustard chicken. It only needs just a few ingredients and takes just minutes to prepare. It is undoubtedly one of my favorites.
This easy orange chicken is super delicious, and I really hope you enjoy it too. If you have some feedback, variations, or anything else, then feel free to leave a comment right below.