This gluten-free lemon chicken recipe is one of my personal favorites. It’s a must try if you love battered chicken with a sweet lemon sauce.
The chicken will cook to be succulent on the inside and have lovely crunchy batter on the outside. The sauce has strong citrus flavors that compliment the chicken really well.
There are many different versions of lemon chicken. This recipe is based on the Australian Chinese version which has a light batter and a delicious lemon sauce.
I love having this dish on its own, but you can have it a huge range of different sides.
An example of a great side is some simple steamed rice or even creamy coconut rice. Also, some stir-fried vegetables such as bok choy, sliced bell peppers, sliced onion and much more will go great with this dish.
The orange chicken recipe is very similar to this dish but features strong orange flavors instead of lemon. I highly recommend giving it a go if you love citrus sauces and battered chicken.
Leftovers of this dish are great the next day for either lunch or dinner. The batter might go a little soggy when you go to heat the dish, especially if you do it in the microwave.
A delicious oven-baked rice pudding goes excellent as a dessert after this yummy meal. I highly recommend it as it’s super easy to prepare and get cooking quickly.
You can find the full recipe for this delicious gluten-free lemon chicken right below.
Gluten-Free Lemon Chicken Recipe
1 Hour & 30 Minutes
1 Hour & 50 Minutes
- 1kg (2.2 lb) chicken thigh, cut into chunks
- Oil for frying
- 1/2 cup gluten-free plain flour
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- In a bowl, combine the cornstarch, eggs, Shaoxing wine, salt and water.
- Add the chicken and mix well.
- Cover and store in the fridge for roughly one hour.
- In a saucepan, add chicken stock, Shaoxing wine, oyster sauce, hoisin sauce, soy sauce, sugar, lemon zest, and lemon juice.
- Bring to a light simmer and cook for 10 minutes.
- Turn the heat to low or off while you fry the chicken
Coating & Frying
- In a bowl, combine the gluten-free plain flour and cornstarch.
- Add the chicken and mix well.
- In a deep fryer or hot wok, add enough oil to deep fry.
- Heat the oil to 200 °C (350 °F).
- Deep fry the chicken in two separate batches. It will take roughly 5 minutes for each batch.
- Once cooked, put to the side.
- Reheat the sauce and add the lemon slices.
- Serve & Enjoy
- The chicken thigh can be substituted with chicken breast instead.
- You can check the internal temperature of the chicken using a meat thermometer. It will need to be 75°C (165°F) in the center of the thickest part of the chicken.
- Shaoxing wine can also be replaced with something like dry sherry instead.
- If you're not worried about gluten, then you can easily substitute the gluten-free ingredients with the alternatives.
- To avoid having the chicken be too oily make sure your oil is at the correct temperature. Also, use some paper towel to remove any excess oil on the chicken once it is cooked.
All the nutritional information that you need to know for this delicious gluten-free battered lemon chicken can be found below.
Don't forget to add any extra sides that you might have with the chicken. For example, rice, noodles or something else.
As I mention on all my recipes, the nutritional information is only an estimate and may be different to your own calculations.
Citrus goes great with chicken, and there are plenty of other dishes that you can do. I highly recommend trying the chicken piccata as it too is gluten-free. It’s even paleo-friendly.
If you feel like slow cooked food, then you should check out the recipe for orange chicken in the slow cooker. It’s not battered, but the flavors make up for it.
I absolutely love this battered gluten-free lemon chicken and have it quite a bit. I hope that you too end up sharing the same love for this dish.
If you have any feedback, tips or anything else, then please don’t hesitate to leave a comment below.