This mug brownie recipe is one of the easiest desserts to quickly whip up after dinner or even as a nice sweet snack if you’re feeling a little peckish.
This mug cake cooks to be rich in chocolate and incredibly moist. It’s the comfort food that I have always dreamed of, something I can easily whip together and will only take a couple of minutes to cook.
There are loads of extras that you can have with this delicious dessert. My favorite is a scoop or two of vanilla ice cream, but I have seen whipped cream used or even hot custard.
I made this brownie using a typical household microwave and mug however you may find that you will need to adjust the time required to cook it.
If your chocolate mug brownie is coming out less than perfect, then check out our cooking tips below the recipe for information on improving the outcome of this recipe.
Try to make sure your mug is large enough for this recipe. If you have a mug too small, then the mix might overflow and make a complete mess in your microwave.
This recipe is for just one, but you can easily make it for multiple people. Just remember the more mugs you have in the microwave, the slower it may be.
If you want to see how this amazing brownie in a mug is done then check out the video I have prepared below.
Chocolate Mug Brownie Recipe
- 4 Tbsp plain flour
- 4 Tbsp white sugar
- 2 Tbsp cocoa powder
- 2 Tbsp melted butter or oil
- 2 Tbsp water
- Add the sugar, cocoa, and flour to the mug and stir to combine.
- Add the melted butter and water to the dry ingredients.
- Mix well while trying to ensure there are little to no clumps left in the mix.
- Place into the microwave and cook for a minute on high.
- Enjoy with ice cream, cream or just by itself.
- If you’re finding the brownie too grainy, try reducing the sugar or use a finer sugar such as caster sugar.
- A dash of vanilla extract will add a bit more flavor.
- Like the brownie a little gooey? Try cooking it for about 30-40 seconds instead.
- Don’t stress on exact quantities too much as long as you don’t go overboard you should be right.
- If you’re looking for a vegan mug brownie, then you won’t need to look any further. Just use oil rather than butter. Also, don’t add any of the optional extras such as cream and ice cream.
- A favorite variation you can try with this recipe is adding chocolate chips to the mix. This change will make it a fair bit sweeter, but you end up with lovely gooey bits of chocolate throughout the brownie.
- If you find that the brownie tastes a little weird, it may be the cocoa you’re using. Try to avoid the cheaper varieties of cocoa or any mixes that have added sugar.
If you’re keeping an eye on what you eat, then this nutritional information might come in handy.
I calculated the information using an online tool so it may not be entirely accurate but should be good enough if you're unsure if it will be ok for your diet.
Love this mug cake and a fan of easy cooking, then make sure you subscribe to our YouTube channel. You will be kept up to date with all the latest recipes, cooking tips and much more.
If you love chocolate and you love a similar recipe, then you should try checking out the self-saucing chocolate pudding. It is great if you want an easy yet delicious pudding for dessert. It involves a bit more work, unlike this recipe.
Easy chocolate fudge is yet another must try if you’re huge of all foods chocolate.
If you have any tips, variations or improvements to this mug brownie recipe, then please feel free to leave a comment below!