This chocolate self saucing pudding is my childhood favorite dessert. I still use this recipe all the time, and it never fails to disappoint.
By the time you pull this pudding out of the oven, it will have a thick chocolate sauce along with a fluffy cake. It is moist and packed with all those lovely chocolate flavors.
This recipe is relatively simple and can be prepared very quickly, making it an excellent choice if you’re running low on time. It’s the perfect dessert if you want something easy and chocolatey.
If you need to make this pudding for quite a few people, then doubling the recipe should feed about six to eight people. Do not worry if you have any leftovers as this pudding will reheat perfectly. I love having it for breakfast as a bit of a treat.
A chocolate dessert that you can do if you don’t feel like making an entire pudding is a mug brownie. It is a great chocolate brownie that can be quickly whipped up in a mug. The best thing about it is that it only takes a couple of minutes.
What to Serve with this Pudding
I know this chocolate pudding is perfect on its own, so don’t feel like you have to make anything extra to go with it. With that said, below are a couple of ideas on how to serve this dessert.
My absolute favorite is to serve this pudding with a scoop or two of vanilla bean ice-cream. The ice cream helps cut through some of the rich chocolate flavors of the pudding and makes it an even better dessert. I highly recommend giving it a try.
I love to serve this pudding with some homemade custard. Much like the ice cream, it helps cut through the richness of the dessert. If you don’t have the time, then some store-bought custard will also work nicely.
If you want to see how to make this yummy chocolate self-saucing pudding, then check out the video below. Alternatively, there is a full written recipe right underneath the video.
Chocolate Self Saucing Pudding Recipe
- 30 g (1.1 oz) unsalted butter
- 60 g (2.1 oz) caster sugar
- 1 egg, beaten
- 75 g (2.6 oz) self-rising flour
- 2 tsp cocoa powder
- 60 ml (2 fl oz) milk
- 45 g (1.6 oz) brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp cocoa powder
- 250 ml (8.5 fl oz) boiling water
- Preheat the oven to 190°C (375°F) and grease an 8×8 ovenproof dish.
- Cream the butter and caster sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add the beaten egg and mix well.
- Gently stir in the flour and cocoa powder while also gradually adding the milk.
- Once combined, pour into the ovenproof dish.
- For the sauce, combine the brown sugar and cocoa powder. Sprinkle on top of the pudding mixture.
- Gently pour the boiling water over the pudding mixture, try not to disturb the mixture too much.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 45 minutes.
- Serve and Enjoy.
- When you’re pouring the boiling water over the pudding, you can use the back of a spoon to pour onto it. This method will help stop the water from digging up your cake mix and causing bits of it to float.
- If you find the sauce tasted a bit too much like brown sugar, simply add more cocoa powder next time. Alternatively, you can reduce the brown sugar, but this might affect the thickness of the sauce.
- Another variation you can try for this chocolate self-saucing pudding is to add chocolate chips. If you add chocolate chips to the cake mix, you will get nice gooey bits of chocolate throughout the pudding when it is finally cooked. The sauce will help prevent any of the chocolate from burning.
- Depending on where you live, caster sugar is also known as superfine sugar or baker’s sugar. You can also use regular sugar if you don’t have any caster sugar around.
The information above is an estimate generated by an online nutrition calculator.
More Chocolate Desserts
While this chocolate pudding isn’t the easiest recipe around, it certainly is an incredibly good tasting dessert. The best thing about it is that you can feed quite a few people from a single-serve.
You can make a self-saucing chocolate pudding gluten-free which is perfect if you’re sensitive to gluten. It’s very similar to this recipe but swaps out any of the ingredients containing gluten.
Another chocolate dessert that I highly recommend making is the chocolate brownies. They’re perfect as a dessert or as a snack. They’re also gluten-free, so ideal if you’re unable to eat any wheat products.
If you have any feedback or variations on this chocolate self-saucing pudding recipe that you would like to share, then please leave us a comment below.