Making your own easy homemade taco seasoning is incredibly easy to do and is perfect for when you don’t have any premade packets in the house.
One of the best things about making taco seasoning at home is that you know exactly what has gone into the seasoning. You can also tinker with the ingredient amounts to help produce a better flavor that suits your taste buds.
Depending on the prices of ingredients in your area you might find that making the seasoning at home will save you money. Packet mixes are usually quite pricey and don’t contain a huge amount of spice in them. Buying all your spices separately and in bulk will often save you money in the long run.
If you don’t like making it at home, then you can usually find packet taco seasoning at pretty much any good supermarket or online store. If you’re looking to buy online, then a big store such as Amazon is usually your safest best.
You’re able to make this in bulk if you find yourself using taco seasoning quite a bit. Just store in an airtight container in the cupboard until needed. There are instructions on how to make this in bulk right underneath the recipe.
Easy Homemade Taco Seasoning Recipe
- 1 Tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- ½ tsp paprika
- ¼ tsp dried oregano
- In a small bowl, add all the ingredients and mix together.
- Use straight away or store in an airtight container.
- If you’re not a fan of heat, then you can reduce the chili powder to half a tablespoon. Keep in mind this might change the overall taste of the seasoning.
- Adding about one teaspoon of cornstarch will help the seasoning stick to meat and will thicken up sauces as well.
- There are many different types of chili powders that you’re able to use in this taco seasoning. Feel free to experiment, and you might get a slightly different flavored taco spice mix. If you come up with an amazing combination, then be sure to share it in the comments below.
This recipe is also super easy to make in bulk, so you’re able to keep it in the cupboard and just grab what you need when you need it. It’s a super easy way to make sure you always have some excellent homemade taco seasoning on hand.
Below are the measurements for when you want to keep some seasoning stored in bulk. An old clean jar is perfect for doing this.
- 1 cup chili powder
- 1/3 cup ground cumin
- 1/3 cup sea salt
- 1/3 cup black pepper
- 3 Tbsp garlic powder
- 3 Tbsp onion powder
- 3 Tbsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 3 Tbsp paprika
- 1 ½ Tbsp dried oregano
If you’re curious about the nutritional information of this homemade seasoning mix, then you can find it right below.
Of course, I should mention that this information is calculated using an online tool so it may not be super accurate.
There are so many different types of meals that you’re able to use taco seasoning. For example, it’s great if you’re cooking some meat for some delicious, easy nachos. Just season the meat before frying it off for the best results.
I hope this super easy homemade taco seasoning was perfect for your next dish. If you have any problems, feedback or an adjustment that works better then feel free to let us know by leaving a comment below.