These fried cheese sticks are possibly the easiest, cheapest and tastiest things you can cook when you’re low on money.
This meal isn’t just great for anyone who is broke as they are also great as a kids meal (kids just absolutely go crazy for them). They also are pretty amazing as a light snack or pretty much anything where you just want something easy and tasty to eat. If you have the money or ingredients to do variations on these fried cheese sticks, then you should check out my cooking tips below.
These are also a fantastic alternative to toasted cheese sandwiches which can get very same ole if you have them too much. You can also add extras to these such as ham or salami. Simply just add it at the same time you add the cheese. You will need to make sure it will still roll easily.
If you’re more of a visual person, then check out my video on how to make these fried cheese sticks! It’s a quick and easy way to learn how to throw this great recipe together.
Fried Cheese Sticks Recipe
- 8 slices of bread
- 8 slices of cheese
- 4 Tbsp. butter or oil for frying
- Remove the crusts from all the slices of bread.
- Roll out the bread using a rolling pin or anything round and clean.
- Place a cheese slice on the bread.
- Roll the bread up from one edge to the other end.
- Heat a frying pan up and add some butter or oil.
- When the butter or oil is hot add the cheese sticks with the open edge facing down.
- Turn over to a new side cooking them until their golden brown all over.
- Serve & Enjoy
- You can add extra ingredients to the rolls such as tomato paste, salami, ham and much more. Just make sure you don’t go overboard otherwise you will end up with soggy grilled cheese sticks.
- You can cook these in the oven for some baked cheese sticks, simply preheat an oven to 180°C (350 °F) and bake for about 10-15 minutes. You might also want to add some butter or oil to the outside, so they crisp up nicely.
- When you’re cooking these in a pan, try to keep them in a close group. This method will prevent the rolls from opening up and becoming ruined.
- This fried cheese sticks recipe is great to go with some soup, condiments such as tomato sauce, a stew and much more!
- I used processed cheese slices for this recipe, but you can easily swap these out for a different type of cheese that you like. For example pieces of Camembert are pretty amazing fried.
It’s probably already pretty clear these cheese sticks aren’t going to be the healthiest thing, but if you need to know the nutritional information then you can find it below. Keep in mind this information is estimated and may vary if you use your tool to calculate it. Also, keep in mind this doesn’t take into account any extras you might have with it.
One thing I love is dishes with a primary focus on cheese! If you’re looking for something slightly healthier, then be sure to check out the easy cheesy cauliflower cheese. It is steamed cauliflower topped with an amazing cheese sauce.
If you have your own thoughts, variation or anything else you would like to share regarding our fried cheese sticks recipe drop us a comment below!