This Paleo butter chicken is a fantastic version of the classic dish. It is deliciously creamy and will fulfill those cravings for a delicious curry.
There are a lot of paleo friendly ingredients in this recipe because we’re making a curry paste from scratch.
The difference between a jarred paste and a paste made from scratch is simply amazing. The fragrance, flavors and even the look of the butter chicken are just so much better.
One of the best things about making this curry from scratch is you know exactly what has gone into the curry.
You will find a lot of the jar sauces have a lot of added sugars and salts to help with flavor. They’re also likely to have preservatives as they need to be able to last in the jar for months.
You can easily reheat the leftovers the next day if you end up with any. I wouldn’t recommend freezing it down as it may degrade in quality quite a bit and not taste nearly as good.
If you do end up loving this curry, I have some cooking tips underneath the recipe that will help you be able to make this recipe a lot faster in the future.
If you want to see how to do this paleo butter chicken recipe visually, then check out the video below. If you like what you see and would like to stay up to date, then please subscribe to the channel.
Paleo Butter Chicken Recipe
- 2 Tbsp. coconut oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 tsp garlic, crushed
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 2 & ½ Tbsp tomato paste
- 400ml (13.5 fl oz) coconut milk
- 700g (14 oz) chicken thigh fillets, diced into ~2cm cubes
- 2 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp cardamom, ground
- 1 tsp coriander, ground
- 1 tsp ginger, ground
- 1 tsp cumin, ground
- ½ tsp paprika
- 1 tsp turmeric, ground
- 1 tsp salt
- Heat the coconut oil in a pan over high heat.
- Firstly, add the onion and cook until translucent (3-4 minutes)
- Add the garlic and spices and cook until fragrant. Approximately about 2 minutes.
- Next, add the chicken and cook until lightly browned.
- Now add the salt, tomato paste, lemon juice, coconut milk.
- Lower the heat to medium and bring to a simmer.
- Cook for about 20 minutes.
- Serve & enjoy
- If you enjoy this recipe, you can make a jar of the butter chicken spices and store these for future use. Every time you make this recipe again all you will need is 2 ½ Tbsp. of the spices. This way you won’t need to weigh out the seven odd spices over and over.
- This dish goes amazing with the cauliflower rice recipe, so if you’re looking for a dish to help bulk this out, then you should check out that recipe. (It’s paleo friendly as well)
If you’re curious about how much this curry could impact your diet, then you can find the nutritional information below.
This information doesn’t include the cauliflower rice if you decide to have it. The values are also only estimates and may vary slightly depending on the quantity and ingredients used.
If you have made this paleo butter chicken and would love to share what you thought of it, then please don’t hesitate to leave a comment below.