These incredible baked apples are perfect for a delicious dessert that the entire family can enjoy.
After being baked, the apple becomes sweet, juicy, and is so tender that it will melt in your mouth. The walnut and date filling adds a ton of flavor and a bit of crunch. It is an excellent combination that will have you going back for seconds or even thirds.
You can use any type of apple for this delicious dessert, but if you are looking for the best result, try and find a good baking apple such as a Jonagold.
If you are trying to stick to the paleo diet as much as possible, I would avoid having this as a dessert too often. The sugar content is a bit on the higher side due to the amount of fruit, but it is totally worth it.
Adjusting the Recipe
The dates can be swapped out for any kind of dried fruit. For example, raisins, cranberries, dried apricots all would work just fine in this dish.
You can try swapping the walnuts for a different type of nut. Pecans, walnuts, or slivered almonds would all work as a decent replacement. Each nut will bring a unique flavor and texture to the baked apple.
Cutting the apples into slices then layering them in a baking dish with the filling is a great way to make this dish a little easier. It requires less preparation, and you will not have the risk of the apples exploding.
You could try replacing the filling mixture with a paleo-friendly granola. You may need to keep the honey that is listed in this recipe to help it bind together.
These baked apples will keep for a few days, so if you end up with any leftovers, make sure you keep them in the fridge. You do not need to reheat them as they taste pretty amazing cold.
What to Serve with Baked Apples
If you are looking to serve this dish with another dish, then I would certainly look at a paleo-friendly custard for something creamy and light.
I love to keep things basic and serve the apples with a drizzle of honey and a couple of chopped walnuts. It completes the dish and makes it look slightly more appealing.
Some paleo-friendly ice-cream is perfect served with these delicious apples. If you do not mind being a little sneaky, then some vanilla bean ice cream is incredible when matched with these juicy baked apples.
If you want to see how to cook and prepare these paleo-friendly baked apples, then be sure to check out the video below. Alternatively, you can find the full written recipe right below.
Baked Apples Recipe
- 2 apples, cored
- 1 tsp honey
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon, ground
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg, ground
- 1/4 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1/4 cup dates, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C).
- In a bowl, combine the honey, cinnamon, nutmeg, walnuts, and dates.
- Place the apples in a small baking dish.
- Fill the cored out apples with the walnut mix.
- Slightly prick the outside of the apple with a skewer.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 20-25 minutes or until the apples are soft.
- Serve with a drizzle of honey and some chopped walnuts.
- Pricking the outside of the apple will help stop them from exploding and becoming a very unappetizing mess.
- Try to pack the center of the apples as much as possible, as this will help stop the filling from falling out the bottom.
- This dish only serves two people but can be easily doubled or tripled to feed more people.
- Even though honey is paleo-friendly, it is usually best to avoid adding too much, especially if you are looking to lose weight on the paleo diet.
The information above is an estimate generated by an online nutrition calculator.
More Delicious Paleo-Friendly Desserts
If you are interested in more apple desserts, then you might want to check out the delicious paleo apple crisp. It has delicious chunks of apple topped with a crunchy topping that is a combination of coconut, almond, and ground cinnamon.
Some paleo apple muffins are perfect as a dessert for after dinner. They bake to be moist, loaded with a ton of flavor, and are an absolute must-try.
I hope that you enjoy these delicious paleo baked apples. If you have some feedback, a variation, or anything else that you would like to share, then please feel free to leave a comment below.